From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:34:36
1 2014-07-28 1:00 GMT+03:00 Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On 27/07/2014 21:38, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2014-07-27 22:13 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:33:47 +0300, Grand Duet wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>> That's what replaces it when eth0 comes up.
9 >>>>> It looks like eth0 is not being brought up fully
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> It sounds logical. But how can I fix it?
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>> By identifying how far it is getting and why no further.
16 >>> But it appears that eth0 is being brought up correctly
17 >>> and then the config is overwritten by the lo config.
20 >> I think so.
21 >>
22 >> As I have already reported in another reply to this thread,
23 >> it is my first reboot after commenting out the line
24 >> dns_domain_lo="mynetwork"
25 >> and so far it went good.
26 >>
27 >> Moreover, the file /etc/resolv.conf has not been overwritten.
28 >>
29 >> I still have to check if everything else works fine and
30 >> if I will get the same result on the next reboot
31 >> but I hope that the problem has been solved.
32 >>
33 >> But it looks like a bug in the net csript.
34 >> Why lo configuration should overwrite eth0 configuration at all?
37 > I would consider it be a documentation bug at the very least. Being able to
38 > propagate different settings to resolv.conf depending on whether a given
39 > interface is up may be of value for some esoteric use-case, although I
40 > cannot think of one off-hand. Some other distros use the resolvconf
41 > application to handle these nuances.
42 >
43 > In any case, it is inexplicable that the user is invited to define
44 > dns_domain for the lo interface. Why would one want to push settings to
45 > resolv.conf based on the mere fact that the loopback interface has come up?
46 > Also, it would be a great deal less confusing if the option were named
47 > dns_search.
48 >
49 > I think that the handbook should refrain from mentioning the option at all,
50 > for the reasons stated in my previous email. Those who know that they need
51 > to define a specific search domain will know why and be capable of figuring
52 > it out.
53 >
54 > It's too bad that the handbook is still peddling the notion that this
55 > somehow has something to do with 'setting' the domain name. It is tosh of
56 > the highest order.
57
58 I agree with you. But how to put it all in the right ears?