From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel config hell
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:08:52
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008 20:27:37 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >>> Summary of request for help:
5 >>>
6 >>> Are there hardcore kernel builders in the house who can steer me to
7 >>> a faster way of figuring out what the installed modules do... for
8 >>> sure.
9 >> Well, my bit of wisdom here: Don't use modules. Do a "make
10 >> menuconfig", disable everything you don't need, and compile everything
11 >> you need in-kernel instead of as a module.
12 >
13 > I'd say the "disable everything you don't need" part is what Harry's mail is
14 > all about.
15
16 Well, finding out what every installed module does isn't going to help
17 anyway. I'd start with only the modules currently used after a fresh
18 boot (lsmod). If you compile those in-kernel, it will boot. Everything
19 else can be tweaked later.