From: ruscook ozbike <ozbike@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installer (Sabayon 3.4 Loop 1) can't detect s/w RAID disks / fails with /etc/fstab mount error
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:35:09
1 Neil Walker wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 >> Sabayon is just gentoo with a different installer, correct?
4 >
5 > No, it's a binary distribution and a horrible mess.
6 >
7 >> So as long as you do your emerge sync && emerge -u world. you never
8 >> need to install a new version, right?
11 > That is about the most dangerous thing you can do on Sabayon -
12 > virtually guaranteed to break the system. It uses a mix of stable and
13 > testing with a huge list of packages in /etc/portage/package.keywords
14 > with ~arch. :( Any attempt to update the system the Gentoo way will
15 > lead to a tangle of blocks, upgrades, downgrades, package masks, etc.
16 > that can take a long time to sort out. At least that was how it was
17 > when I tried it. :(
18 Obviously my view wasn't as sophisticated or detailed, but in essence,
19 being a newbie, I felt the risk of that was too great. Hence wanting to
20 use the newer version to upgrade some key packages.
21 I'm going to play with gentoo some in a vmware instance so I can get
22 some idea of this emerge/compiling thingy :-)
23
24 Russ
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list