From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPTables question... simple as possible for starters
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:08:49
1 On Dec 30, 2013 7:31 PM, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Minor additions to what Pandu said...
4 >
5 > On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 > > On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
7 wrote:
8 >
9 > > The numbers within [brackets] are statistics/countes. Just replace
10 > > them with [0:0], unless you really really really have a good reason to
11 > > not start counting from 0...
14 > AFAIK, there's no reason this shouldn't alway be set to 0. If you want
15 > to keep your counter do --noflush
16 >
17 > > NOTE: In that ServerFault posting, I suggested using the anti-attack
18 > > rules in -t raw -A PREROUTING. This saves a great deal of processing,
19 > > becase the "raw" table is just that: raw, unadulterated, unanalyzed
20 > > packets. The CPU assumes nothing, it merely tries to match well-known
21 > > fields' values.
24 > And because nothing is assumed, you can't prepend a conntrack rule. I
25 > can't think of why you'd ever want those packets (and I should
26 > probably move at least those 4 masks to raw) but just an FYI - no
27 > processing means no processing.
28 >
29 > Also see nftables: http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/
32 Very interesting... were they aiming for something similar to *BSD's pf
33 firewall?
34
35 I personally prefer iptables-style firewall; no guessing about how a state
36 machine will respond in strange situations. Especially since I greatly
37 leverage ipset and '-m condition' (part of xtables-addons), which might or
38 might not be fully supported by nftables.
39
40 Rgds,