From: Nick <gentoo-user@××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Other encrypt otions than encfs
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 00:07:14
1 On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:22:02PM +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
2 > reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> yazmış:
3 > > I've had two incidents where encfs has failed due to some
4 > > incompatability during upgrades..
5 > >
6 > > I'd like to switch to some other technique rather than have to worry
7 > > with maintaining a working environment for encfs/fuse.
8 > >
9 > > Can anyone vouch for another system that has been very reliable for
10 > > them?
11 > >
12 > > My needs are small. I normally use a 200M or so encrypted file
13 > > mounted as disk.
16 > dm-crypt[1] and loop-aes[2] are two alternatives. The former has been
17 > very reliable for me so far.
18 >
19 > [1] http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/
20
21 Yep, I've been using dm-crypt with LUKS for a while now, without any
22 problems whatsoever. Asks me for the passphrase when I bootup, then
23 merrily continues on its way. You can also use a USB disk or some
24 other medium to store the passphrase.
25
26 It's been a while since I set it up, so I'm rather rusty on how it
27 all fits together now, but follow
28 http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
29 and you'll go far.
30
31 Good luck,
32
33 Nick
36 GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
37 GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F
38 SIP : 30126547@×××××××××××.uk PSTN: 0560 0030509