From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMs - what technology would you advise?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:31:52
1 On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Vbox seems to be coming last by quite some margin in the intel tests! I also
3 > read this article and it looks that vbox is thankfully doing better on AMD;
4 > but there are differences in the versions and kernels used between the two
5 > articles:
6
7 Yes, but it didn't seem relevant to your usecase, so I didn't lead
8 with it. I was just hoping you might consider it at some point as an
9 alternative to VirtualBox, as it is fairly complete at this point
10 (though sans memory snapshotting, which is a useful feature I had not
11 considered - I had been doing pretty well with disk snapshots).
12
13 I originally researched virtualization with an eye to making it usable
14 on a laptop/notebook. In this regard VT-x/VT-d with KVM give you
15 usable battery lifespan and let you use less powerful hardware.
16 Implication: You might not need the workstation to do your testing,
17 depending on what testing you do. Something to consider for the
18 future. I was elated to find I did not need to tie myself to a beefy
19 machine to do what little Windows/.NET development I indulge in.
22 Containers and such definitely sound interesting; I had been avoiding
23 Linux VMs for the longest time due to the overhead. The alternatives
24 sound rather light so I might reconsider.