From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:07:41
1 * Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > My first post on the list. I thought I would start with something that I
6 > started
7 > to think of as 'essential' after losing 90GB of data. Now I have two main
8 > questions in mind: what to and how to back up on gentoo most efficiently.
9
10 I'm using a little script like that:
11
12 #!/bin/bash
13 cd /var/backup/blackwidow || exit 1
14
15 DATE=`date +%F-%H-%M-%S`
16
17 rsync --exclude-from /scr/etc/backup-blackwidow.exclude \
18 -avz blackwidow:/ /var/backup/blackwidow/ROOT \
19 --backup \
20 "--backup-dir=/var/backup/blackwidow/BACKUP-$DATE" \
21 --delete \
22 --delete-excluded \
23 --delay-updates \
24 --progress \
27 (of course with a carefully maintained exclude file ;-p)
28 This doesnt make a real rotating backup, but stores all files that
29 get overwritten into their own directory (named by the current date).
30 And from time to time, I'm cleaning up the backup volume and look
31 for things that I still might need.
32
33 For things I'd like to keep an history (eg. /etc) I'm using git, and
34 pushing the repo to a remote server (denying non-fastfoward updates
35 there, so an theorectical highjacker cannot destroy my history)
36
37 For really long-term backups with bigger content (that might be
38 too big for git), you could also give venti+vac (from plan9port)
39 a try. I'm using it for storing larger media files (videos, etc)
40 in my MediaCloud platform.
41
42 > 1. Apart from users' home directories and the followings, what should be
43 > backed
44 > up on a gentoo machine?
45 > /etc/portage/
46 > /root
47 > /var/lib/portage
48 > ...?
49
50 Depends on how long the recovery may take. For example, if you can
51 afford recompiling world (or have another compatible image somewhere
52 else), you can exclude everything where packages are installed
53 (bindirs, libdirs, /usr/share, etc, etc) - assuming everything's
54 installed by portage.
55
56 > Though I can find enough space on the external drives, I don't trust them
57 > any more. See above..sigh..(No I recovered about one third of it with
58 > testdisk/photorec
59 > which names them as file000001 file00002.. and half them are zero sized..
60 > which
61 > quite justifies my agony)
62
63 Make multiple copies on different media (eg. different servers).
66 cu
67 --
69 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
70
71 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
72 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
74 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme