From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] After gcc-3.4.6-r1 & glibc-2.4-r2 emerge!
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:41:27
1 On 5/12/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 11 May 2006 19:47, Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > On 5/11/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > > > I'm going one step further with gcc 4.1.0. After I emerged gcc and
5 > > > glibc... I did an "emerge -e system" twice and am now following up with
6 > > > two "emerge -e world" commands...
7 > >
8 > > Wow, you like to waste a lot of CPU cycles...
11 > Actually... nothing is wasted. I've read that this is the best way to rebuild
12 > the tool chain, then the applications. Sources that rely on other sources are
13 > guaranteed to be accurately built after the second pass of "world"
14
15 I'm sorry, but what you read was simply wrong, written by somebody who
16 probably didn't understand how compilers, linkers, dynamic libraries,
17 and executables interact.
18
19 I could see _some_ value in emerge -e system followed by emerge -e
20 world. There can be some (very small) effects of system packages on
21 each other. But you are building system again when you emerge -e
22 world, and there is simply no reason at all to emerge -e world twice.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list