From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which mobile (cell) phone manager?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:42:27
1 On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 May 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > Hi All,
5 >> >
6 >> > There seems to be a long list of mobile phone managers out there:
7 >> >
8 >> > kmobiletools
9 >> > gnokii
10 >> > wammu/gammu
11 >> >
12 >> > There's probably more (gnome-phone-manager?) but I do not have Gnome on
13 >> > this machine. I have a Nokia phone and I am not sure of the pros + cons
14 >> > of each application for managing it.
15 >> >
16 >> > Have you used any of these and what would you recommend?
17 >>
18 >> I use Nokia PC Suite for Windows in a virtual machine. :)
19 >>
20 >> But, really, I don't use any of them. The only real use I've seen from
21 >> them is easier entry of contacts, and I only have about 10 contacts so
22 >> it is not a problem for me to type them on the phone.
23 >>
24 >> For backups, I use the phone's internal backup function to make a
25 >> backup onto the memory card.
26 >
27 > Thanks Paul, I use an old Nokia 6021 which does not have a memory card. I
28 > have more than 10 contacts but I do not need to edit these often. However, I
29 > find typing text messages on the phone tiresome, compared with typing on the
30 > laptop. So SMS functionality which these managers offer is a benefit for me.
31
32 Ah, okay. I have not tried it, but I know for sure Gnokii can do all
33 kinds of SMS functions from the PC, including sending, receiving, and
34 even pictures (multimedia messages). I believe you can make phone
35 calls and stuff, too.