From: Matt Connell <matt@×××××××.tech>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about pam-gnupg?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:48:20
1 On Wed, 2023-03-01 at 15:38 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > Can you re-architect this as a (pseudo) daemon so that you unlock it
3 > once (or at least a LOT less often) and it stores the necessary
4 > information in memory for subsequent re-use?
5
6 You just described gpg-agent, the core of what Efe (OP) is meddling
7 with :)
8
9 > Could you re-configure things so that (a copy of) the requisite password
10 > is accessible via a different set of GPG credentials specific to the
11 > process that you're running?  Then you could probably have just that set
12 > of GPG credentials unprotected so that the script could use them as it
13 > is today.
14 >
15 > If neither of these options were possible I'd look into something like a
16 > TPM and / or Yubikey wherein I could offload some of the GPG to it so
17 > that the decryption key is physically tied to the source computer /and/
18 > *where* *it* *can't* *be* *copied*.
19
20 Since pass, the utility that OP is using in their script, is built
21 around GPG, of course there have been some spinoffs, using other
22 encryption methods. Personally setting the gpg-agent timeout higher
23 and having good physical security works for my use case, but everyone
24 has a different situation. If I worked in an office still, I think I
25 would have a physical GPG-based key solution, though I will admit I'm
26 not read up on which ones are the tops right now.
27
28 Efe, it may be useful to review the pass mailing list archives[1] for
29 some other ideas. I don't think you're trying to solve a snowflake
30 problem here, but pam tie-ins doesn't feel quite right for a solution
31 either.
32
33 1: https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/