From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @preserved-rebuild EVEN IF some needed package is masked
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:08:14
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 January 2010 00:25:03 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thursday 07 January 2010 21:19:27 Stroller wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I hope my above statements don't sound nasty, but you want 3.5, Alan
9 >>>> [1] wants KDE 4. The various developers upstream of you and Alan -
10 >>>> i.e. both KDE and Gentoo - don't have time to work on both. So they
11 >>>> have each chosen where to spend their time, and that's on KDE 4.
12 >>>>
13 >>> [snip]
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>>> [1] Some hypothetical Alan who does not really exist.
17 >>>>
18 >>> Ahem <cough><cough>
19 >>>
20 >>> I *think*, but not sure, that I feel offended by being mythicalisized[2]
21 >>>
22 >>> [2] Some hypothetical word that truly does not exist.
23 >>>
24 >>> Lucky for us, the Red hats and SuSEs of this world will maintain at least
25 >>> critical security flaws in KDE-3.5 that Gentoo users can import into kde-
26 >>> sunset: those distros shipped KDE-3.5 and are still actively supported
27 >>>
28 >> Should we also assume that Redhat and SuSE is doing that support, not
29 >> KDE who is the one that dropped KDE 3.5 ??
33 > Yes, that's reasonable. RH shipped KDE-3.5 with fully supported versions of
34 > RHEL, and those versions are still current. So just like RH backport useful
35 > kernel code into their shipped versions, we can expect RH to at least deal
36 > with critical security bugs. They likely will not add new features to KDE-3.5
37 > though.
38 >
39 > There's no inside info here, I'm just stating the way these things usually
40 > work out there in the marketplace
44 But KDE still dropped the support tho? That was my point. It wasn't
45 Redhat, Gentoo, SuSe or some other distro or even me that dropped it, it
46 was KDE that dropped it.
47
48 Now to this question, will what Redhat is doing ever make it to the
49 kde-sunset overlay? Or will that be so far out that KDE 4 will finally
50 be ready by that time?
51
52 Dale
53