From: Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config for Docker
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 18:05:01
1 Some of these are obsolete and have been removed in newer kernels.
2
3 NF_NAT ones have been superseded by / renamed to:
4
5 CONFIG_NF_NAT
6 CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT
7 CONFIG_IP6_NF_NAT
8
9 I'm not sure about CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT but I believe it's
10 now incorporated into other XFRM config variables in newer kernels. I
11 will need to look at the kernel changelogs. But you should be fine
12 without it.
13
14 AUFS is not part of the main kernel tree, so the following option does
15 not apply:
16
17 CONFIG_AUFS_FS
18
19 That said, Docker does _not_ require AUFS, but it does still support it
20 as an option. Docker docs, recommend using OverlayFS instead which is
21 also part of the main kernel tree.
22
23 As far as I recall there are patches and overlays that will allow you to
24 enable AUFS if needed. Debian, for example, does not include AUFS and
25 instead uses DKMS for AUFS support.
26
27 The CFQ I/O scheduler is obsolete and has been removed, so the following
28 do not exist and have no alternatives except for running an older kernel:
29
30 CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ
31 CONFIG_CFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED
32
33 Docker will run just fine with the BFQ scheduler.
34
35 Generally speaking the docker kernel validation script is fundamentally
36 flawed by design - it doesn't check the kernel options based on the
37 kernel version. Instead it uses as single global list of CONFIG options
38 and matches against that.
39
40 - Victor
41