From: Crayon Shin Chan <crayon.shin.chan.uk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: howto setup vsftpd and virtual hosts by NAME not by IP
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 04:47:49
1 On Thursday 27 September 2007, Jarry wrote:
2 > Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
3 > > You can't do virtual hosting using domain names in ftp
4 >
5 > I think wu-ftpd does support virtual ftp-hosting using domain-names.
6
7 I would love to know how it does the impossible - since the ftp protocol
8 doesn't know anything about domain names :)
9
10 > The only limitation comes from single common passwd file, i.e.
11 > you can not have two different users on two different virtual
12 > ftp-server having the same login name...
13
14 That's because it simply boils down to ftp not being able to support
15 virtual name hosting. In reality, the above fudge goes something like
16 this:
17
18 domain: ftp.virtual.a.example.com
19 user/pass: usera/passa
20 directory: /var/ftp/usera
21
22 domain: ftp.virtual.b.example.com
23 user/pass: userb/passb
24 directory: /var/ftp/userb
25
26 userb can actually login using either ftp.virtual.a.example.com or
27 ftp.virtual.b.example.com. The different domains is just a convenience
28 for the users and makes not one bit of difference to an ftp server
29 because it only knows about which IP address(es) to listen to.
32 Crayon
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list