From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID1 + LVM2 booting screwed up. Help, please!
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:29:39
1 Hi, Alan.
2
3 On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:33:13PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:11 on Sunday 10 April 2011, Alan Mackenzie
5 > did opine thusly:
6
7 > > Hi, Gentoo.
8
9 > > My new(ish) amd64 system has two 1TB HDDs in a (software) RAID1, and
10 > > practically the entire system is under an LVM2.
11
12 > > I rather unwisely made this addition to the startup stuff:
13
14 > > ls -s /usr/bin/svscanboot /etc/init.d/
15 > > rc-update add svscanboot default
16
17 > > , and now the box hangs during boot up.
18
19 > > On the same box, I also have a "trial" installation which boots and I
20 > > still have the installation CD from about a year ago.
21
22 > > Would somebody please help me get into my system sufficiently to
23 > > correct my mistake on the boot scripts. Pointing me in the direction
24 > > of a fine manual section would be regarded as help.
25
26 > Boot the trial installation which does boot.
27 > vgchange -ay
28 > find and mount your lvm volumes somewhere
29 > now you can access that dodgy symlink to delete it
30
31 > Maybe there's other steps (like loading kernel modules), but I'm
32 > assuming you know your way around to find and detect those.
33
34 It turns out I panicked needlessly, since my root partition is on
35 /dev/sdb1. I didn't manage to figure out how to get / onto the LVM2 way
36 back when. I'm glad I didn't delete the "trial" installation, which I'm
37 renaming to "rescue" :-).
38
39 Thanks for the tip. I've a feeling I'll be needing vgchange sometime or
40 other.
41
42 > --
43 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com