From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Resolved : openshot-2.0.6.ebuild
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 21:46:13
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > # eselect python list
5 > > [2] python3.4 *
6
7 > You are being especially obtuse this time. Ate too many chocolate easter
8 > eggs this weekend?
9
10 That's the nicest way somebody has ever call me a moron, pig-headed
11 or just dense. sorry...
14 > LOOK at the emerge output please (eselect python is a red herring), this
15 > is what it says:
16
17 > The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
18 > exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python3_4
19 > python_single_target_python3_5 )
20
21 > Clear as daylight. It says right there it needs PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET to
22 > be 1, and only 1, between 3.4 and 3.5.
23 > You have it set as 2.7 per your emerge info.
24
25 Not intentionally.
26
27 > Do what Q says 1 reply higher up in this sub-thread and your problem
28 > will go away.
29
30 I got all of that.
31
32 > Here's what's happening:
33 > When the ebuild installs a python package, it needs to determine what
34 > python you will use and what goes in the python script shebang. This is
35 > what PYTHON*TARGET does - it's really just a USE flag and emerge uses
36 > that USE flag to figure out which python version to install against.
37
38 > The flag is defined like any other flag - globally in make.conf or
39 > per-package in package.use. The ebuild can and should assist by setting
40 > it's own variables about what it can work with, but all of that is
41 > undone when you override the ebuild with your own USE.
42
43 > There is no bug here, your USE is set wrong by default.
44
45 > eselect python: This handy gadget is a different thing from the above.
46 > It determines what gets run when you type the command "python",
47 > "python2" or "python3", because you can have lots of them. eselect
48 > python tells Gentoo what is the global default. It has NOTHING to do
49 > with installs.
50
51 Actually, I did not know this, seriously. I thought that setting eselect
52 python, was the master way of setting *everything* to the version of python
53 selected, including the relevant USE flags. I got it now. No worries.
56 And yes I'm severely distracted with several other things. I'm only
57 interested in a variety of video codes, to run on gentoo clusters
58 as custom frameworks, benchmarking and testing. I'm just now bothering
59 to learn python.
60
61 Sorry for being so dense:: piss-poor assumption on my part.
62
63 James