From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg on my server (talk me out if it?)
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:46:08
1 On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 13:37 -0800, Grant wrote:
2 > > > I need to have VMware installed on my web server to test updates.
3 > > > I've been searching for a way to do this without installing X for a
4 > > > while, and it just doesn't seem do-able.
5 > >
6 > > Why run VMWare on the server? Run a clone of the server in a VMWare
7 > > machine on a desktop computer. Test updates on there and then update the
8 > > server the same when you know everything is OK.
11 > That does sound pretty good, especially since VMware just virtualizes
12 > all of your hardware anyway.
13 >
14 > There seem to be a few different options here. Here's a summary:
15 >
16 > *User-Mode-Linux
17 > You have to use the usermode-sources for your guest OS or patch your
18 > (vanilla) kernel. If that's not what you're running on your host OS,
19 > your tests are less complete. The devs are also set up differently on
20 > the guest OS.
21 >
22 > *VMware Workstation
23 > You have to have X installed on the system. You can use xvfb instead
24 > ( http://www.vttoth.com/vmvfb.htm )
25 > ( http://www.lemoncube.com/104.html )
26 > but that seems to end up a lot like having full-blown X. xvfb is also
27 > not in Portage and seems difficult to put together. The other option
28 > (mentioned in this thread) is setting up the test OS on a workstation
29 > instead of the server. This would change things a bit more from the
30 > way they are on the live system so your tests are a bit less complete.
31 >
32 > *chroot
33 > You can't test changes to the kernel.
34 >
35 > *separate box
36 > Expensive.
37 >
38 > - Grant
39
40 I've not looked into it too much, but is there anything wrong with qemu?
43 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>