From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Yann Garnier <garnier-yann@×××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC upgrade / downgrade infinite loop
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:29:56
1 On Monday 19 September 2005 07:57, Yann Garnier wrote:
2 > Greetings everyone,
3 >
4 > Can anybody tell me why portage constantly upgrade and then downgrade
5 > GCC (versions 3.3.5 & 3.3.6) each time I "emerge -pvuD world" ???
6
7 A little trick I do when this kind of stuff happens. In portage, there's a
8 file called /etc/portage/package.mask. You can use it to mask packages that
9 aren't in /usr/portage/profile/package.mask. It is however, useful in
10 finding out why packages are downgrading. So, here's what you can do:
11
12 echo "=sys-devel/gcc-3.3.5" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
13
14 This will mask gcc 3.3.5. Now, when the package that wants gcc 3.3.5 is about
15 to be emerged, portage will notice that gcc 3.3.5 is masked and complain.
16 This complaining will do the nice favor of showing you what package needs it,
17 and find out why it does. After this you'll want to remove the package.mask
18 entry to avoid any sort of chaos. Hope this helps.
19
20 > In advance thank you
21 >
22 > Yann Garnier