From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Long standing problem of booting thu kvm switch
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:43:47
1 Somewhere back down the road... mnths now, I lost the ability to talk
2 to the boot screen from my KVM connected keyboard.
3
4 What I mean is, when gentoo starts to boot and reaches the grub
5 screen... It does not see my keyboard yet.
6
7 Once booted and login prompt is up (I boot to console mode) the
8 keyboard now is recognized.
9
10 There was a time when the keyboard was recognized throughout, so
11 something changed in grub or I'm not sure what... but this happens
12 before the kernel is booted.
13
14 I just worked around it and kept meaning to try to sort it out... but
15 never did till now.... its been so long ago now I have no idea what
16 config may have done the deed.
17
18 I hoped someone here may have some useful input regarding what drivers
19 may be needed or what changes made in order that, at the boot prompt,
20 my kvm (usb) connected keyboard is recognized.
21
22 Of course plugging a keyboard direct to the machine is an option but it
23 gets quite messy having two keyboards on a desk already loaded down
24 with 2 monitors a KVM connecting 4 machines and all the junk one might
25 associate with habitually working thru 4 or 5 machines for hours every
26 day or nearly so.
27
28 The problem only exists right at boot time... once booted the KVM works fine.