From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:48:20
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:
4 > I think my UPS is dying. Time to get a new one. It's been years, so
5 > there may be new tech out there I don't know about. My normal usage is
6 > * 1 LCD monitor 24"
7 > * 1 (sometimes 2) "desktop" PCs connected to the monitor
8 > * 1 ADSL router/modem
9 >
10 > What brand and VA rating would people recommend.
11
12 1000VA would be the minimum with the monitor connected.
13 The monitor spec should say what the power draw (amps)
14 is. Then determine the power draw of your workstation.
15 (a $50 amp meter from a hardware store will measure this).
16 If you do not wish to purchase the amp meter, just keep
17 the packing and return it after use.
18
19 Do not plug a printer into the battery protected circuits
20 on the UPS, just the surge protection. Printers draw heavy
21 amperage for short durations that can kill a UPS.
24 > The stuff I'm
25 > concerned about is the 2 or 3 times a year I get power flickers, or a
26 > short outage. And also, if power is out for more than 5 minutes, and
27 > the battery is running low, I want the PC to be able to sense that and
28 > execute /usr/sbin/hibernate.
29
30 http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/tripplite_usb.html
31
32 Triplite, my brand of choice, should work with NUT. Never set
33 it up myself.
34
35 Make sure the UPS you choose, internally uses the Standard 12VDC-7AH
36 jell cell battery as they are easy to find and replace and cost
37 effective. Often, that is all an older UPS needs.
38
39 Google for "Sealed Lead acid Battery 12V 7Ah" with F2 connectors
40 after looking inside at the battery(s) currently in your UPS.
41
42 hth,
43 James