From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:09:43
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 31 July 2013, at 19:09, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Stroller
7 >> <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> On 31 July 2013, at 18:23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
10 >>>> ...
11 >>>> Whinging about systemd binaries being installed is valid, but whinging
12 >>>> about some data files is not. Anyone who does is letting their OCD show
13 >>>> in ways they really should be keeping private.
14 >>>
15 >>> Hmmmn, it's a bit freaking weird - if I'm understanding correctly some of the statements made here about systemd - that there will be files installed to /etc/init.d/ that don't actually do anything.
16 >>
17 >> If you use systemd, all the files installed in /etc/init.d (except
18 >> functions.sh) don't actually do nothing.
19 >
20 > Right, which is a bit freakin' odd, because on most every previous distro and other *nix system, that's where the system administrator goes to start and stop services.
21 >
22 > If they're not used, in this case, I don't think they should be installed.
23 >
24 > /etc/init.d is wholly different from /usr/share/package-name/examples
25 >
26 > There are many other directories on the system where it's no problem to have some idle, unused, "wasted" files, but /etc/init.d has long been an important directory.
27
28 That was one of the reasons I started the gentoo-systemd-only overlay;
29 if you used systemd, and tried to run "/etc/init.d/whatever start",
30 the results would vary from "annoying" to "catastrophic".
31
32 Nowadays you get the following warning:
33
34 * You are attempting to run an openrc service on a
35 * system which openrc did not boot.
36 * You may be inside a chroot or you may have used
37 * another initialization system to boot this system.
38 * In this situation, you will get unpredictable results!
39 * If you really want to do this, issue the following command:
40 * touch /run/openrc/softlevel
41
42 So it's pretty harmless. I believe the same applies for the files in
43 /etc/init.d (or /usr/lib/systemd/system) that for the files in
44 /etc/cron.daily, or /etc/bash_completion.d.
45
46 They should be installed unconditionally. If you don't like it,
47 INSTALL_MASK'd them.
48
49 Regards.
50 --