From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 03:13:54
1 On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:42:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have NEVER asked portage to keep a copy of EVERYTHING online.
5 >
6 > Yet it does.
7 >
8 >> I
9 >> think it's a sinthat portage decides to remove files from MY machine,
10 >> files that I'm currently using, files that I require.
11 >
12 > It doesn't. It may remove files from the portage tree, but those are
13 > not in use except when emerging. The ebuilds for your installed packages
14 > are kept in /var/db/pkg.
15 >
16 It does.
17
18 QUESTION: Was the file /usr/portage/distfiles/xorg-server-1.1.1.tar.bz
19 on my system?
20 ANSWER: Yes
21 QUESTION: After eix-sync or building xorg-server-1.5 is the file
22 /usr/portage/distfiles/xorg-server-1.1.1.tar.bz still on my system?
23 ANSWER: No.
24
25 It does remove files. I don't know when, but they are gone.
26
27 Can I go find these files somewhere? Almost certainly - in backups, in
28 the attic, on other machines - somewhere.
29
30 Should I be spending my time this way? My thought is no, but then
31 again, that's just me. Apparently portage devs disagree and if I want
32 to run this distro I guess it's their way or the highway. (Doesn't
33 rhyme so well from the user's point of view, but then again, the guy
34 getting poked in the eye by the stick isn't supposed to think it feels
35 good, is he?)
36
37 Good night. I'll come back in a few days and see if this feels any
38 better, assuming I still have a key to the house.
39
40 Thanks,
41 Mark