From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:53:16
1 On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 06:01:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
2 > Since ssh is not running, I assume it doesn't matter at this point?
5 > I'll check into fail2ban and denyhosts. Any one better or more
6 > preferred than the other?
7
8 AFAIK, either of those are for brute force attacks on SSHD. If you are
9 not opening up ssh...
10
11 Personally I use neither. I rolled my own scripts to monitor brute
12 force attacks and it has held up alright.
13
14 You can make double sure and get iptables to drop all connections not
15 originating from the LAN. Actually, go ahead, look into iptables, and
16 apply brainpower like Alan said.
17
18 On my setup, I just block almost everything (except ssh) by default
19 and maintain a white-list of IPs.
20
21 W
24 These are things people "actually said" in court....
25 +++++++
26 Q: What is your date of birth?
27 A: July fifteenth.
28 Q: What year?
29 A: Every year.
30 +++++++
31 Q: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?
32 A: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.
33 +++++++
34 Q: Sir, what is your IQ?
35 A: Well, I can see pretty well, I think.
36 +++++++
37 Q: Did you blow your horn or anything?
38 A: After the accident?
39 Q: Before the accident.
40 A: Sure, I played for ten years. I even went to school for it.
41 +++++++
42 Q: Trooper, when you stopped the defendant, were your red and blue
43 lights flashing?
44 A: Yes.
45 Q: Did the defendant say anything when she got out of her car?
46 A: Yes, sir.
47 Q: What did she say?
48 A: What disco am I at?
49 +++++++
50 Q: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep,
51 he doesn't know about it until the next morning?
52 +++++++
53 Q: The youngest son, the twenty-year old, how old is he?
54 +++++++
55 Q: Were you present when your picture was taken?
56 +++++++
57 Q: She had three children, right?
58 A: Yes.
59 Q: How many were boys?
60 A: None.
61 Q: Were there any girls?
62 +++++++
63 Q: How was your first marriage terminated?
64 A: By death.
65 Q: And by whose death was it terminated?
66 +++++++
67 Q: Is you appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice
68 which I sent to your attorney?
69 A: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.
70 +++++++
71 Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
72 A: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.
73 +++++++
74 Q: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?
75 A: No.
76 Q: Did you check for blood pressure?
77 A: No.
78 Q: Did you check for breathing?
79 A: No.
80 Q: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began
81 the autopsy?
82 A: No.
83 Q: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
84 A: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
85 Q: But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?
86 A: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing
87 law somewhere.
88 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1002 days, 12:39