From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bad mem, over heat and games
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 14:49:36
1 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Laptops generally get warm/hot to the touch. What sort of
4 > temperatures does it show?
5
6 That is one of the problems with the blasted laptop. Speedstep and
7 sensors are not working. I don't know if it is an Intel thing or a
8 Toshiba thing. I should have gotten an AMD laptop. My AMD64 desktop
9 runs great and everything works, especially the Cool-n-Quite. I have
10 been trying to see if there is a patch for speedstep. The laptop is 3
11 months old and has a Pentium M - Sonoma:
12
13 jim@kaleb $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
14 processor : 0
15 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
16 cpu family : 6
17 model : 13
18 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
19 stepping : 8
20 cpu MHz : 1729.164
21 cache size : 2048 KB
22 fpu : yes
23 fpu_exception : yes
24 cpuid level : 2
25 wp : yes
26 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
27 cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx est tm2
28 bogomips : 3466.07
29
30 I looked at speedstep-centrino.c in the kernel source and added the
31 Sonoma. However it still does not work and I just get:
32
33 FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino
34 (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r6/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko):
35 No such device
38 > memetest should run overnight to get a reliable result. I remember
39 > reading either in this list or in the Gentoo forums why memtest is not
40 > the best test for memory integrity. There's a script somewhere which
41 > will also put your memory controller under some pressure. I'll post
42 > back if I can find it.
43
44 I tried that. Last night memtest got through the first 4 tests. When
45 test 5 came the screen got all garbaled, though the test kept running.
46 I let the laptop cool overnight and this morning ran just test #5 and it
47 completed. I then booted to Gnome and the screen got garbaled.
48
49 > If as you say your video card is sharing the system memory and the
50 > memory is suspect, then that would explain why you are getting all
51 > these video display problems. Does reverting back to the old memory
52 > chip improve matters?
53
54 Could different memory modules from different manufacturers not work
55 well together, though work well alone? I just took out the 512MB DDR2
56 that came with the laptop and put just the 1GB DD2 in that I bought and
57 this is the longest it has stayed running since yesterday.
58
59 > --
60 > Regards,
61 > Mick