From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 01:06:09
1 On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol writes:
3 >
4 >> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > Dale writes:
7 >> >
8 >> >> Is there a way to find out what is using swap?  Maybe something
9 >> >> related to the video is on swap which at times can be slow,
10 >> >> certainly slower than ram.
11 >> >>
12 >> >> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
13 >> >
14 >> > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
15 >> > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
16 >> > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
17 >> >
18 >> > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying
19 >> > to read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such
20 >> > a good idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after
21 >> > half an hour I rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
22 >> >
23 >> > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and
24 >> > name, and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only
25 >> > those using more swap than specified. If interested you can download
26 >> > it here: http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
27 >> > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
28 >> >
29 >> > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem
30 >> > happened lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll
31 >> > wait for the next time it happens.
32 >> >
33 >> >        Wonko
34 >> >
35 >>
36 >> sys-process/htop
37 >
38 > Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
39 > process.
40
41 Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
42 /proc can be added as a column.
45 :wq