From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:24:15
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 25/07/21 14:49, Dale wrote:
3 >> The problem here is that a user installed a package outside of
4 >> emerge/portage's knowledge.
5 > No that does *NOT* appear to be the problem.
6 >
7 > The problem is that the user installed - *using* *portage* - a package
8 > that satisfied a critical system dependency. Except that they did not
9 > intend for it to satisfy that dependency!
10 >
11 > If they HAD installed it outside of portage, they wouldn't have this
12 > problem.
13 >
14 > Cheers,
15 > Wol
20 That is another way of looking at it for sure.  If Alan wants to install
21 his mail program then maybe he should install the packages it depends on
22 manually as well.  My point was that emerge/portage has no way of
23 knowing why he installed daemontools and to emerge/portage, that meant
24 removing a package that the virtual no longer needed.  To
25 emerge/portage, having daemontools and openrc installed was no longer
26 required.  Since he installed daemontools, emerge/portage assumed that
27 is what he wanted to use.  Since emerge/portage is in the dark as to
28 why, it's a expected behavior in my opinion.
29
30 Either way, installing packages outside of emerge/portage puts the user
31 in charge of the problems it creates.  There's several ways to correct
32 this so maybe one will be attractive enough to Alan to apply.  I like
33 Neil's myself but to each his own.
34
35 Dale
36