From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: WebCam? Second Edition
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:06:35
1 On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > WebCam: Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks, 2009er model
3 > which is not affected by the firmware bug of previous versions
4 > of the same cam.
5
6 First, check the info and forums at http://www.quickcamteam.net/ if
7 you have not already. Lots of good info and Logitech developers there.
8
9 Try to disable the auto exposure and low-light features. It really
10 kills the frame rate. CPU load of processing and displaying live video
11 is also prohibitive on slower hardware.
12
13 I have a Quickcam Pro 9000 which I believe is very similar to the
14 notebook version you have, maybe the same chipset. I, too, was very
15 disappointed with the video quality considering the reviews, the
16 marketing "HD video 1600x1200", and the cost. I expected it to look
17 like a camcorder, but it is basically crap. I even attached it to a
18 Windows machine using the official Logitech drivers and software and
19 it is equally unimpressive. Based on all of the reviews online it
20 seems this is one of the best consumer webcams (without getting into
21 very expensive professional equipment).
22
23 In a dim room, even with normal indoor lighting, I get about 5fps with
24 the auto-exposure/low-light features enabled. With bright light it's
25 about 15fps. Disabling those features should give you the highest
26 frame rate but, of course, they make the image look much better at the
27 expense of frame rate. It has been a very long time since I used it
28 but I think all of these settings were able to be controled via
29 luvcview for testing. Good luck, I think I had some hairs turn gray
30 trying to make it look good...