From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:33:59
1 Am Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:45:38 -0600
2 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:29 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > > Hi,
11 > > > >
12 > > > > how do you read the log files when using syslog-ng?
13 > > > >
14 > > > > The log file seem to be some sort of binary that doesn't display too
15 > > > > well in less, and there doesn't seem to be any way to read them.
16 > > > >
17 > > > >
18 > > > > --
19 > > > > Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
20 > > > > might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.
21 > > > >
22 > > > >
23 > > > If you're talking about /var/log/messages, which is:
24 > > > messages: data
25 > > >
26 > > > I use cat(1).
27 > >
28 > > I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the journal
29 > > files?
30 >
31 > Those live under /var/lib/journal (which you need to create; Gentoo doesn't
32 > do it by default last time I saw)
33 [...]
34
35 It did on my laptop after I migrated it to systemd over the weekend (on a whim,
36 no less -- apparently I'm adventurous?). Or, to be more precise, I didn't have
37 to create the directory myself. And wouldn't it be created at run-time, anyway?
38 That's what I would expect, at least.
39
40 [...]
43 Marc Joliet
44 --
45 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
46 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup