From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:59:26
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >> So boot your existing Gentoo setup as usual, then follow the handbook to
6 >> install on the new disk. You do not have to boot from a live CD to
7 >> install Gentoo, and suitable working Linux environment will do the job,
8 >> and an existing Gentoo installation is more than suitable.
11 > There still seems to be some misunderstanding.
12 >
13 > I want to build up a fresh install somewhere besides my existing
14 > desktop OS (gentoo). Leave the existing setup alone for now.
15 >
16 > Get the fresh install up to speed so it is a fresh and new
17 > approximation of my desktop OS.
18 >
19 > And finally overwrite the desktop OS with the newly built one.
20 > It sounds like what you are describing is just a new install using an
21 > exiting gentoo os instead of install disk.
22 >
23 > But the result would be a new install with nothing setup... on the
24 > desktop which is not what I want.
30 This may help. You can install from the CD, another Gentoo system,
31 another Linux system with about any OS on it as long as it has chroot
32 and a couple other goodies. I installed my Gentoo system from Mandrake
33 years ago. As long as you can run chroot and a couple other goodies,
34 you can install.
35
36 Another thing I have done, put a hard drive in my main rig, install
37 Gentoo to run on another system. After I get everything done, except
38 the boot loader, I put the drive in the new system, install the boot
39 loader and see if it boots or not.
40
41 What people are saying is, there are a lot of ways to do what you are
42 wanting to do. Gentoo is very flexible that way. :-)
43
44 Dale
45