From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Immensely disappointed in emerge -DuN world these days
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:03:32
1 On 9/13/07, Marzan, Richard non Unisys <Richard.Marzan@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:35:50 -0500, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 > >Step 1: Stop top posting
6 > >Step 2: Read /etc/make.conf.example, the part about PORTAGE_ELOG
9 > Sure will. Thanks Neil.
10
11 Just a final comment to say that after 3 days of messing around I
12 finally managed to get this machine working again. I did nothing
13 'special' that I know of. I just kept uninstalling things, like
14 everything with the name gnome in, etc., and rerunning eix-sync,
15 revdep-rebuild loops where I skipped things that didn't work the first
16 time, until finally it all seemed to come together. Magic.
17
18 This was far and away the worst update cycle I've gone through on
19 Gentoo. I last did this machine maybe 5 months ago. Didn't think this
20 was all that long but it sure was tough.
21
22 That said, and yes I was frustrated, I still prefer Gentoo to the
23 FC2/FC3/FC4/FC5 treadmill I used to be on. Just wish it was easier.
24
25 Thanks to everyone who answered my pleas!
26
27 Cheers,
28 Mark
29 --