From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Decoding / encoding mp3 files
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:31:57
1 quoth the Hemmann, Volker Armin:
2 > On Friday 01 September 2006 17:47, sdoma wrote:
3 >
4 > even if there are tools - don't do it.
5 >
6 > The artist/title info is in the id4 tags - you can edit them with lots of
7 > tools, even inside most players. No need to recode them.
8
9 This is true, no need to re-encode just to fix tags.
10
11 > And recoding: mp3 is a lossy format. If you turn them into wavs you have
12 > not only wavs based on reduced information, you remove the stuff that makes
13 > mp3 sound 'better' than they are. If you encode them again, you are
14 > removing more information.
15 >
16 > So after such a circle the sound quality would be worse. A lot worse.
17 > Hardly bearable worse.
18
19 I am well aware of encoding/re-encoding between lossy formats but I still
20 don't buy this. I habitually re-encode all formats to my preferred Ogg Vorbis
21 format and have not once been overly (or even slightly) disappointed with the
22 results. Unless one is the hardest-core of audiophiles with tens of thousands
23 of dollars worth of stereo equipment I doubt they will either.
24
25 "Hardly bearable"? Maybe if you have the ears of a dog. If you start with a
26 decent bitrate in the first place (128+) I don't see a difference with naked
27 ears at all.
28
29 > Just say no to recoding.
30
31 Nice blanket statement. Better advice to the OP: try it. Save the originals.
32 Listen to both. Can you live with it? Make up your own mind....
33
34 Shameless plug: I have written a ruby script to re-encode between various
35 formats: http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/
36
37 It will allow you to encode mp3 -> mp3 among others. (Ogg, M4a, Wma, Flac).
38 Undoubtably this is Hemmann's worst nightmare...
39
40 -d
41 --
42 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
43 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
44 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972