From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 02:28:07
1 R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 2017-08-30 18:28, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with
6 >>>>> flash as the main storage will be back at the recycling station
7 >>>>> (ideally) within a couple of years. This includes all the consumer
8 >>>>> routers I've ever had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
9 >>> Flash storage lasts far longer than that in practice. How often do you
10 >>> upgrade a router?
11 >> The "couple" was meant literally, i.e. typically 2 years until it
12 >> breaks. I don't know for sure if it is the flash or something else.
13 >> It's not a bad brand - I have had many different brands, nothing lasts
14 >> much more than that. And I don't abuse them - in fact I pamper them :-)
15 >>
16 > I don't want to take this off on a tangent too far, but can you
17 > describe how you're using them? I'm very interested in what might be
18 > causing them to fail. It's probably not the flash. Reading it causes
19 > virtually no wear and you can do this indefinitely until the charge on
20 > the flash cells equalizes itself, which usually takes a hundred years
21 > or so (similar to the time periods that electromigration takes to
22 > visibly affect integrated circuits).
27 I have to add, I've had modems go out, lightening strikes coming through
28 the phone line does a good job of that. I've never had a modem just die
29 outside of lightening hitting it. Some I've had for years, after
30 plugging the phone lines into a good surge protector. Smart move.
31 Should have did that sooner. ;-)
32
33 Router, heck, I don't recall ever having a router go bad. I don't
34 recall even the power pack thing ever going out. I've updated the
35 firmware/OS thing a couple times on mine and it just keeps on going.
36 Come to think of it, I rarely even have to reboot the thing. Usually
37 when I do, it's because my DSL is having problems and I give it a reset
38 just for giggles, modem to I might add. BTW, I have one of those wired
39 type LinkSys blue routers. I have a spare in the closet. It's been
40 there for years. Found it at a thrift store for like $5.00 or so. They
41 had no idea its real value. I think it has the wireless part. lol
42 Anyway, it worked when I tested it.
43
44 Makes one curious as to what is causing Ian's problem with this sort of
45 thing. :/
46
47 Dale
48