From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 09:52:11
1 On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:25:07 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > You'd expect to find a list of contents, chapters and an index
4 > > in a printed reference book, electronic documentation should
5 > > be no different.
6 >
7 > Perhaps, but I think info is an awful implementation. A single
8 > large man page is much better, and a single large html page
9 > with links in it is far, far, better.
10
11 Info is far from a perfect solution (very far)and I generally use it in
12 Konqueror anyway, but the idea that any product, no matter how complex,
13 should be documented in a single, unindexed page is ridiculous.
14
15 Searching in a single page is fine, as long as the term you are looking
16 for is fairly unique, try searching for something like avi in the mplayer
17 man page and see how many times you need to press n before you find what
18 you want.
19
20 The Gentoo handbook is an excellent example of how documentation should
21 be arranged.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them