From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ethernet card for puter
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 18:36:46
1 On 08/11/2021 16:48, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-11-08, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>>
5 >>> -----Original Message-----
6 >>> From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
7 >>> Sent: Sunday, November 7, 2021 1:26 AM
8 >>> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 >>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card for puter
10 >>>
11 >>> Only problem was a screw-up over the router - the fibre was terminated at an RJ45 in my house, but apparently needed a dedicated wan port on the router - you can't plug it into a standard port - so I was without internet until they sorted out a new router for me.
14 >> The *fibre* was terminated at an *RJ45*? Sounds like somebody
15 >> screwed up massively and said you had the wrong router so you
16 >> wouldn't think they were idiots. Either that or it wasn't actually
17 >> an RJ45 and you needed a router with a fibre port.
18 >
19 > The fiber is undoubtedly terminated at an ONT which has an RJ45 jack
20 > which then needs to be connected to what the ISP usually calls "A
21 > Modem". That "modem" is generally a firewall/router and WAP.
22 >
23 > The exact Ethernet protocols used on that RJ45 connection to the
24 > "modem" varie. Some do PPPoE, some just need some sort of
25 > authenticating DHCP client, so do other stuff.
26 >
27 Eggsackerley
28
29 All I know is the guy who installed it put a box on the wall. He plugged
30 the fibre in his end, I plug an RJ45 in my end.
31
32 And I need a dedicated WAN port on the router as the other end of the
33 RJ45 cable.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Wol