From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:47:51
1 Am 08.06.2015 um 00:15 schrieb Daniel Frey:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Not really Gentoo-related (well except the overheating part - lots of
5 > compiling ;-) )
6 >
7 > I have a very old laptop. It is an LG F1 laptop (circa 2005/2006 I
8 > believe) about nine years old. This has a Core2 1.6GHz chip and 4GB RAM,
9 > even though it only sees 3GB (that should tell you it's pretty old!)
10 >
11 > Anyway, I noticed during my last compile-fest on my laptop (reinstalled,
12 > switched to systemd for testing) that a corner of the laptop is getting
13 > really hot. We are talking a fair bit of heat here, you can't keep it on
14 > your lap when it warms up.
15 >
16 > So I took it apart yesterday, figuring I should re-do the thermal paste.
17 > During this process, I discovered it's the southbridge ICH chip that's
18 > overheating. There's no cooler at all on this chip (the northbridge and
19 > CPU have heat piping), it's a bare chip.
20 >
21 > Now, I suspect there's not much I can do about this given it being a
22 > laptop and I might have to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to
23 > have to buy a laptop later this year/early next year.
24 >
25 > I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
26 > something about it?
27 >
28 > I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
29 > particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
30 > I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
31 >
32 > Dan
36 are you sure it is overheating and not operating within spec?
37
38 A lot of laptops have 'hot spots'.