From: dnebinger@joat.com (Dave Nebinger)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What to expect from emerge --newuse --emptytree world re: etc-update
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:46:08
1 I'm getting ready to dive into the apache2 install on my server.
2 In preparation for this I needed things I wasn't using before like
3 IMAP (see thread on web mail systems), MySQL, and ldap.
4
5 Being the good little gentoo boy I updated my USE flags to include
6 these and other settings that I plan to use but didn't have in before.
7
8 And since my USE flags changed, I'm in the middle of doing the
9 "emerge --newuse --emptytree world" (it's actually going quite well;
10 out of 417 packages, only scotty failed due to some sandbox violations
11 that I'm not worried about right now).
12
13 I've got about 10 hours left on the recompiles (estimated), so tomorrow
14 morning the next step will be to handle any /etc updates.
15
16 But that's got me wondering - am I going to be looking at hundreds
17 of /etc updates?
18
19 If I am, I'm certain I don't need them as my existing configs are
20 all working fine.
21
22 So if I am looking at hundreds of /etc updates that I don't really
23 want to have to wade through, what would be the easiest way to purge
24 them all?
25
26 Thanks in advance,
27