From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:56:24
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:41 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
6 >
7 > On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:53:05 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
8 >
9 > > I am rapidly getting the idea that either leaving the system alone,
10 or
11 > > just wiping it out and starting over is going to be preferable to
12 trying
13 > > to repair this one, since no one can seem to tell me if it can be
14 done.
15 > > My original thought was to simply change the use flags to those that
16 I
17 > > wanted, and emerge -e world, apparently, this is not correct?
18 >
19 > Re-emerging everything is unnecessary, especially if you are only
20 > changing a few flags.
21 >
22 > emerge -uavDN world
23 >
24 > will re-emerge everything affected by your changed flags, and allow
25 you
26 > to see what it is going to do before it starts. If you have any doubt
27 as
28 > to what an emerge will do, run it with --verbose and either --pretend
29 or
30 > --ask first.
31 >
32 > > As far as portage documentation, I have not been able to find a wiki
33 > > article or other document that indicates how to change from a system
34 > > created by the installer disk to one that is personally optimized.
35 >
36 > Therein lies one of the problems with the installer. The manual
37 > installation requires you to gain some understanding of how Gentoo
38 works
39 > in order to build a system. That understanding is also needed to
40 > administer the system. By using the installer, you bypass the initial
41 > learning curve which, paradoxically, can make things more difficult in
42 > the long run.
43 >
44 > I am going to suggest a course of action that I normally find totally
45 > pointless, re-install. If you build your system again without the
46 > installer, you will be able to configure it to suit your needs from
47 > scratch, and you will have a greater understanding of the system,
48 making
49 > it easier to maintain.
52 > --
53 > Neil Bothwick
54 >
55 > "Bother," said Pooh, as the Death Star exploded around him.
56 [Timothy A. Holmes]
57
58 Neil -
59
60 I understand your suggestion -- I used the installer as an attempted
61 shortcut after having done several (5+) installs via the basic disk and
62 the handbook. I have paid for that error in spades - believe me --
63 since then I have done an additional 5 or so installations by hand from
64 the basic disk. I understand the processes there, I was hoping to
65 rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able to
66 just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the beginning,
67 the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off the
68 rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping to
69 be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with it,
70 but that doesn't look to be the case
71
72 Thanks again
73
74 TIM
77 Timothy A. Holmes
78 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
79
80 Medina Christian Academy
81 A Higher Standard...
82