From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 38.1.0 :-(
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:01:05
1 On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 06:23:03PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
5 > portage, so I merged it in.
6 >
7 > What a mistake!
8 >
9 > All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
10 > bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
11 > vanished. I'm not happy about that.
12
13 That's a feature ;). Occasional forced cleaning. This happened when I
14 upgraded (I'm on unstable), but I don't have bookmarks nor saved
15 passwords, and my custom config takes ~10 seconds to set up clicking
16 through the menu, so I didn't really care.
17
18 Backups are good. Putting all of the config and bookmarks in version
19 control would be even better, except Firefox uses a pretty awesome
20 combination of sqlite, JSON, JavaScript, and text for storing
21 configuration and bookmarks, so of course that would be a nightmare.
22
23 > The usability of the program has gone down, down, down. Not a lot seems
24 > to work properly, anymore. For example, it used to be that you could
25 > mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
26 > Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
27 > and delete it, .... Even the screen area where the current URL is
28 > displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
29 > barely read it.
30
31 More "features".
32
33 > What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about? Destroying
34 > somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.
35 >
36 > I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
37 > recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff. Still, a
38 > recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome. Should I go
39 > back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
40 > of firefox?
41
42 The only related thing I can find is a bug where starting the Profile
43 Manager deletes all the profiles, or something close to that.
44
45 Alec