From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 02:52:19
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > I think all possible profiles for each and every type of gentoo install
5 > > should either be readily available on any installed gentoo system, or
6 > > on theet or otherwise easy to parse.
7
8 > They already are, profiles are part of the portage tree. For example, on
9 > this amd64 box
10 >
11 > % PORTAGE_PROFILE=/var/portage/profiles/default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a eix
12 -c --system
13
14 > Found 42 matches.
15
16 I get that all the defaults, regardless of arch, have the same 42 list
17 of packages (at least what I have checked), even default for the arm
18 variants which are usually thought of as embedded. I get what Andreas
19 wrote finally where inheritance picks up other packages.
22 > The nil return before was caused by search in one of the arch
23 > directories, which are not complete profiles but data to be used by
24 > profiles. It is a little confusing, but if you stick to profiles under
25 > default/linux you should get useful information.
26
27 /usr/portage/profiles/embedded/packages shows:
28 *>=sys-apps/busybox-0.60.5-r1
29
30 I guess that busybox is the only package that all (gentoo) embedded profiles
31 require. Granted I have not looked at all the variants of profile, including
32 embedded for the different arches found in gentoo.
35 I just think there should be a cleaner and quicker way to see these lists,
36 and I think there should be a 'standard way' to migrate between embedded
37 and default, for each and every arch variant. It's not been a clean nor easy
38 thing to ferret out, imho. Little documentation. I do appreciate your
39 efforts and the information provided by the others too. I think in the
40 new world of clusters running on bare metal to full, bloated distros,
41 gentoo should have a way to move between profiles, is a good idea. YMMV.
42 Granted workstations might not want to be part of this changing of profiles,
43 but for servers and focused, single purpose machines, moving from profile to
44 profile, should not be that big of a deal. This is all a work in progress
45 for me. The more I learn about clusters, the more it radically
46 changes what I have seen in the past of embedded systems and *nix systems.
49 Last, I'd just like share another insight. Clusters build on minimal or
50 embedded systems will be far easier to secure, because there's just less
51 to monitor for unauthorized changes. The biggest issue with Clusters and
52 Clouds, that nobody big talks about, are the rampant security problem therein.
55 Thanks,
56 James