From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions of /etc/sudoers
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 17:03:00
1 On 9 Feb 2009, at 13:05, Heiko Wundram wrote:
2 > ... even when he gets access to one of
3 > your user accounts (who happen to be in group wheel), he still has
4 > to guess
5 > the root password (when doing su -) to be able to become root, and
6 > hopefully
7 > this buys you the time to see in your logs that someone tried local
8 > "su" with
9 > invalid passwords, which should always be a high priority alert.
10
11 I have been using `sudo` over `su` for a long time because I felt it
12 reduces the risk of staying too long logged in as root, doing
13 something daft and damaging the system.
14
15 However I have now many times found myself typing `sudo` commands
16 automatically & sometimes inattentively, so that would seem to
17 undermine that argument.
18
19 Your point is very persuasive. I guess my remaining objection is that
20 I have my .bashrc & .bash_profile just the way I like them, and using
21 root would seem to require me to make any changes in two places.
22
23 Stroller.