From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev rules for an iPod Touch?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 14:59:18
1 On 5 November 2011 19:45, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Saturday, November 05, 2011 04:48:54 AM Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> > On Friday, November 04, 2011 06:03:55 PM Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> >> 2011/11/4 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com>:
6 >> >> > Did you install app-pda/ifuse and app-pda/libimobiledevice
7 >> >> > (dependency
8 >> >> > of ifuse and gtkpod)?. I do not recall touching any udev rule.
9 >> >> >
10 >> >>
11 >> >> Hi Jorge,
12 >> >>    Thanks for the ifuse idea. ifuse /mnt/ipod does seem to get the
13 >> >> device mounted. However just poking around in the /mnt/ipod directory
14 >> >> isn't very clear by itself about how music (and one day hopefully
15 >> >> videos) are stored. Maybe I can find some info somewhere to help with
16 >> >> that if necessary.
17 >> >>
18 >> >>    Even with the device mounted it doesn't seem to be visible to
19 >> >> gtkpod, and there aren't any new USB disk messages in dmesg. Just a
20 >> >> single ifuse message is all that's added.
21 >> >>
22 >> >>    Well, at least I can sort of communicate with the ipod even if I
23 >> >> cannot do anything interesting yet
24 >> >
25 >> > I haven't played with my iPod touch yet, but the "older" models all
26 >> > worked with gtkpod.
27 >> > You might need to tell gtkpod to "open" the ipod by pointing it where it
28 >> > is mounted
29
30 I have the same problem, with an iPad, but effectively the same. iPods
31 work on the local Ubuntu machine, and I believe that usbmuxd is the
32 problem in this case. It's supposed to pick up the ipod announce in
33 dmesg and take over. I can't test atm, but it looks like a good place
34 to start.
35
36 Take a look here:
37 http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/10/iphone-syncing-on-linux-part-2/
38
39 which is a little old, but has piles of info. I'm thinking of
40 updating the HFS+ page on gentoo-wiki - if we figure this out, maybe
41 we can write up a good guide for Apple i* devices.