From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Back up a server in real-time
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:12:19
1 On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 November 2008, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >> > Without gentoo-wiki my knowledge level is rather poor (just like my
5 >> > memory!)
6 >> >
7 >> > What would you use to back up a running server without taking it off
8 >> > line?
9 >>
10 >> I keep mine simple, cp -auv paths/you/want/to/backup back/up/to It has
11 >> works so far. Thought about doing a cron job but that complicates
12 >> things. :/
13 >
14 > Thank you all for the suggestions and for the link to the wiki! I've got some
15 > reading to do. ;-)
16 >
17 > Whenever I have used tar to back up a whole OS I used it with a LiveCD. This
18 > was to make sure that files and their metadata were not being changed while I
19 > was tar'ing them.
20 >
21 > Are you saying that I can actually fire up tar/rsync and back up in real time?
24 Please read tar's texinfo manual, at least the section
25 5 Performing Backups and Restoring Files
26 It is short, and nicely divided in subsections making it is easy to
27 select you need/want to read. Not like a man page, which for me is
28 useful as a reference but horrible at teaching how to use the program
29 (unless the program is quite simple).
32 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds