From: Vishnupradeep <intermedia.vishnu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can one get me that link?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:18:02
1 What is multilib and how can I use it?
2
3 Every AMD64 processor is able to run 32bit code as well as 64bit code.
4 However, when you have a 32bit application, you are unable to mix it with
5 64bit libraries or vice versa. You can, however, natively run 32bit
6 applications if all shared libraries it needs are available as 32bit
7 objects. You can choose whether you want multilib support or not by
8 selecting the according profile. The default is a multilib-enabled profile.
9
10 *Warning: *Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a
11 multilib-enabled profile, so think over your decision twice before you use
12 the no-multilib profile.
13 source: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#multilib
14
15 ----