From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:02:50
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 July 2011 11:17:52 Dale wrote:
5 >> What could have caused this? Could it be a file system problem? I
6 >> don't think it is a physical failure since it is working now after
7 >> giving it a fresh start. I just don't get how this could have caused a
8 >> kernel panic. This is plain weird.
9 >>
10 > One possibility is that, having now written to almost every location on the
11 > disk, its controller has marked some faulty blocks that used to contain code
12 > in the disk subsystem. If it was reading damaged data, there's no surprise
13 > in anything that happened next!
16 >> Would love to hear some thoughts on what caused this problem given the
17 >> fix.
18 >>
19 > That's mine :-)
20 >
21 > (And it's not far off what I suggested to you before: that the lightning
22 > strike had damaged your hardware.)
27 It could be that it was some bad bocks. It wasn't lightning tho. It
28 was just a plain power failure where my UPS failed. The relay just
29 didn't act quick enough that time I guess. Still weird that it caused a
30 kernel panic.
31
32 Dale
33