From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:59:18
1 On Tuesday 28 Feb 2012 11:37:44 trevor donahue wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 > I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
4 > several months now and I simply lllooove it!
5 > So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
6 > updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
7 > left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
8 > /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
9 > revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then
10 > 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
11 > So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and this
12 > left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
13 >
14 > So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what is
15 > storing this much space? logs?
16
17 Gentoo takes up more space than a conventional binary distro because of
18 portage and source files in /usr/portage/distfiles.
19
20 Look at eclean to help you remove old package files no longer installed.
21
22 Also look at logrotate to help you automatically rotate, compress and delete
23 old(er) log files.
24
25 As a matter of good practice I always fit /var/ on a different partition to
26 guard against logs going overboard and running out of space.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick