From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: but cool - NASDAQ is gentoo powered
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:01:12
1 On Tuesday 16 August 2011 02:48:30 Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > How does everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use? For
4 > server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
5 > or use case?
6
7 Since you ask: my workstation runs Gentoo. My old workstation sometimes
8 does; at other times it's experimenting with other distributions.
9
10 I have a midget server on the LAN (Atom N270) which runs Gentoo, but it's
11 too underpowered to do all the compiling itself, so it NFS-exports its
12 packages directory to my workstation, where I have a 32-bit chroot set up as
13 an image of the Atom. Emerging is done here, making the packages available
14 for installation on the Atom. This is a cumbersome operation though.
15
16 The Atom serves web, time, squid proxy, dns, cups and mysql to the LAN. It
17 runs http-replicator and rsyncd to keep a local portage tree for the other
18 boxes. I'd like it to serve mail too, but I've never managed to set that up.
19
20 My laptop runs Gentoo, Fedora or WinXP.
23 Rgds
24 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23