From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd says no space left on device
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:46:22
1 Joost Roeleveld writes:
2
3 > On Sunday 15 May 2011 17:45:05 Adam Carter wrote:
4
5 >> Why is dd saying no space left after copying 10MB when sdb1 is 65GB?
6 >
7 > Did you reboot after the first "dd"?
8
9 Probably, undless he is using som external drive.
10
11 > Or at least, force a re-read of the partition tables?
12
13 partprobe /dev/sdb will do this. partprobe is in sys-block/parted.
14
15 > Linux caches the partition tables and when overwriting the partition table,
16 > strange things will happen.
17
18 Sounds like the drive is new, and probably not partitioned at all. When
19 /dev/sdb1 shows up, I's say the partitioning is okay. Is fdisk (I prefer
20 cfdisk) showing the correct layout?
21
22 Wonko