From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} DNS: no SOA record or DNSSEC
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:36:38
1 I used to use "dlint" for this, but the package no longer builds easily
2 - is there any equivalent package as dig is not ideal to find what the
3 problem actually is?
4
5 BillK
8 On 27/08/13 19:53, Alan McKinnon wrote:
9 > On 27/08/2013 12:30, Grant wrote:
10 >> I use a fairly well-known (free) DNS provider. I just checked my DNS
11 >> settings at dnscheck.pingdom.com and I got:
12 >>
13 >> 1. No SOA record was found when querying the name server. This is most
14 >> probably due to a misconfiguration at the name server - a zone must
15 >> have a SOA record.
16 >>
17 >> 2. Nameserver * does not do DNSSEC extra processing.
18 >>
19 >> Are either of these something to worry about?
22 > Yes. Without an SOA record you don't actually have a zone.
23 >
24 > You should stop using those crappy dns checker sites, they tend to be
25 > full of shit, unreliable and operate off someone's idea of how DNS
26 > should be instead of reading the actual RFCs on the matter. Our abuse
27 > team has long ticket lists from people trusting those sites and now
28 > think there's something with how we do glue. Hint: Our glue is right and
29 > proper :-)
32 > Instead just use dig, using google.com as an example get the NS records
33 > first:
34 >
35 > $ dig ns google.com +short
36 > ns3.google.com.
37 > ns2.google.com.
38 > ns1.google.com.
39 > ns4.google.com.
42 > Then query each of those name server in turn directly for the SOA:
43 >
44 > $ dig soa google.com +short @ns3.google.com
45 > ns1.google.com. dns-admin.google.com. 2013081400 7200 1800 1209600 300
46 >
47 > That's a correct SOA record.
48 >
49 > What could have happened with that test site is the query timed out and
50 > the site assumed the universe was therefore about to explode. Use such
51 > if you want but always verify the results yourself using dig.
52 >
53 > The DNSSEC message is not a problem. It means your provider does not use
54 > DNSSEC. Again, the universe will not explode from this, we all got along
55 > just fine with plain unsigned DNS transfers for 30 years. DNSSEC is a
56 > way to digitally sign zone transfers and updates. Nothing to do with
57 > zone resolution.