From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to expand ext4 partition
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 19:09:48
1 On 05/02/2022 17:43, Julien Roy wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've been running an LVM RAID 5 on my home lab for a while, and recently
5 > it's been getting awfully close to 100% full, so I decided to buy a new
6 > drive to add to it, however, growing an LVM RAID is more complicated
7 > than I thought! I found very few documentation on how to do this, and
8 > settled on following some user's notes on the Arch Wiki [0]. I should've
9 > used mdadm !...
10 > My RAID 5 consisted of 3x6TB drives giving me a total of 12TB of usable
11 > space. I am trying to grow it to 18TB now (4x6TB -1 for parity).
12 > I seem to have done everything in order since I can see all 4 drives are
13 > used when I run the vgdisplay command, and lvdisplay tells me that there
14 > is 16.37TB of usable space in the logical volume.
15 > In fact, running fdisk -l on the lv confirms this as well :
16 > Disk /dev/vgraid/lvraid: 16.37 TiB
17
18 If you'd been running mdadm I'd have been able to help ... my setup is
19 ext4 over lvm over md-raid over dm-integrity over hardware...
20
21 But you've made no mention of lvgrow or whatever it's called. Not using
22 lv-raid, I don't know whether you put ext straight on top of the raid,
23 or do you need to grow the lv volume after you've grown the raid? I know
24 I'd have to grow the volume.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol