From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VI
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:52:04
1 On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:33:04 -0500 (EST) Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:34:08 +0100 Harald Arnesen
5 | > <harald@×××××××.org> wrote:
6 | > | There is no ebuild, but you can download and compile vi. It is at
7 | > | <http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net>.
8 | >
9 | > No you can't. It's either broken or will become broken in the future
10 | > with our "lack of termcap" setup, hence why the ebuilds were
11 | > removed.
12 |
13 | ncurses provides a termcap interface, so these applications will
14 | continue to work properly.
15
16 We were getting segfaults with TERM=linux when using the ncurses
17 termcap interface with ex-vi. IIRC, at the time no-one was sufficiently
18 interested to try to track it down properly.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm