From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New project in perl? {OT}
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:56:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 03:32 on Sunday 02 January 2011, Stroller did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 1/1/2011, at 10:34pm, Grant wrote:
5 > > ...
6 > > I'm starting a new project that is quite straightforward and will
7 > > interface with an old project. The only point of contact between the
8 > > two projects might be both of them having access to the same database
9 > > table. The old project is written in a language that is related to
10 > > perl so I can imagine there would be some benefit to using perl for
11 > > the new project. Am I foolish to start a new project in perl at this
12 > > stage in its lifecycle? I won't be doing the coding myself and I
13 > > wonder if I would be better off with PHP since more coders seem to be
14 > > familiar with PHP than perl.
15 >
16 > I'm not sure if I've mentioned before, but I picked up Perl fairly recently
17 > (within the last 12.5 months) although I haven't done *that* much with it.
18 >
19 > I *really* like Perl. It feels extremely robust and "right".
22 My 2c.
23
24 I had a similar reason for picking up Perl. Here's what I now think of it:
25
26 Any language has good coders and bad coders using it, there's nothing the
27 language can do about that and it can't defend you from yourself either. There
28 is much bad Perl code out there but that's because there are so many coders
29 using it.
30
31 The clincher is:
32
33 If you are the kind of coder who is pedantic about writing stuff "correctly",
34 Perl goes out of it's way to help you do that. It will also help you to write
35 utter complete shit code too, but that's a human issue, not a language one.
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com